Thread: Evaluating Orange CD and have a few questions...

Default Evaluating Orange CD and have a few questions...

I'm currently evaluating Orange CD

Default Re: Evaluating Orange CD and have a few questions.

Hi there,

Andrei will probably give you a much more complete answer than mine, but let me see if I can help in some of the points you ask, so that you can start directing your oppinion better as soon as possible.

1- I dont't know if I quite understand what you wanted with this one, so I'm shooting a reply into the dark hoping to hit something. Have you tried, on the drop-down menu of the available views, selecting "more views...", and creating a new view/editing an existent one to your likings? Including one that does only a simple listing?

2- Yes there is. in the current beta3 release ( firetongue.com/beta ) you can add new CD's from amazon including the cover art. The forthcoming beta4 will have the ability to do that to the CD's already in your collection. People have been asking Firetongue here in the forums to add other cover art sources, like allmusic.com. So far, we (the users) still don't know if that is technically possible.

3- Don't use Orange myself for MP3 cataloguing, so I'll have to pass this one up.

4- You can define that yourself. Images can either be an integrant part of the database, stored in a "covers" directory by themselves, or stored in the "covers" directory only when they're bigger than (you choose size) Kb

5- Yes, with CD drive scanning or Bar code reading with a CueCat Scanner. If you choose CD drive scanning Orange ejects the cd as soon as it has been ID'ed. For me, as I have a slot-in drive, it's a very fast process, I just have to keep inserting CD's, and never touch the keyboard even and the collection just keeps growing on screen. CueCat scanning available on beta3.

6 - I Myself came from the collectorz' one to Orange about a week ago, and I have not regreted it so far. I quite like the easiness of orange, the accessibilty of firetongue on discussing and implementing new features (check around the forums to see that). And the HTML export is great. I've just put my cd collection online with great ease (and a great look, you can download the templates from this site), just to name a few of the things.

Cheers,

Guest Guest

[quote=dugn]I'm currently evaluating Orange CD

Yeah.Catraxx is the only other cataloging Program I can think of that is up there with Orange.

I almost left Orange awhile back and went with it.But have been with Orange for a little while now and have only seen it get better and better.

What makes Orange stick out from the rest(even Catraxx) is the templates it makes for showing off your Collection on line.The other thing is how you can make the Front Page Customizable, or any of the other Pages in the Program.All you need to know is a little HTML and can make your own Theme for Orange.Do not have to use the default or the new Crisp(which is very nice ;D).

Hell.I have had the allmusic.com search engine on Orange for a long time now.

Alot of guys around here do not like me because I ask for things to be added to Oraange.

But this is one of the reasons I do this.I go out and try these other Programs and see what they have.So Orange can be just as good or even better.

Like the person before me said.With Catraxx haveing V4C now Orange has some work to be done to it.

allmusic.com has become #1 in the World now.And everybody is useing them.

Andrei said a new Design is planned for the future.Which will have extended credits, subtitles, and many new fields(hopefully Artist info.).

What none of us have ever figured out is who is behind this Program we call OrangeCD?

Catraxx has a large Team of developers.The only Person we know of is Andrei that works on Orange.So it takes him Months to get things done.And that has always and will continue to hurt Orange.

But in a way that is what I like.We are a very small Community.And everytime Orange gets a new Feature it feels a little special because only a few of us are useing it.

Had a few Beers(Brother had a kid today) so can just ignore me if you want.

FC(now can call him Uncle FC)

Hello Uncle F_C
    Congratulations for the new delivery Funky . Have a question for you .I tried to use the Crisp but failed miserably. Any help on that front. Y'all technical know-How is requested.
    Sincerely 8)

Great answers all around! Any chance I can get an answer to my 2 remaining questions (numbers 3 and 5)?

[quote=dugn]3

[quote=dugn]1

Guest Guest

[quote=dugn]Great answers all around!

Guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FuNkY_CaPrIcOrN
    What none of us have ever figured out is who is behind this Program we call OrangeCD?
    Catraxx has a large Team of developers.The only Person we know of is Andrei that works on Orange.So it takes him Months to get things done.And that has always and will continue to hurt Orange.

>>> ....mmm... don't think so. Browsing Catraxx Forum and Website I noticed only ONE Site Admin ( FredrikN ) and I believe he's the ONLY developer at FNProgramvare in Norway.
    I guess the difference is IF a developer can work full time because the software he/she sells is his/her main income or IF he/she must work in his/her spare time because of another job...

But in a way that is what I like.We are a very small Community.And everytime Orange gets a new Feature it feels a little special because only a few of us are useing it.

>>> I've been told that Linux and Mac OS's are much better than MS Windows, maybe it is true, maybe it is not, I don't know... but anyway it really seems there's no relation between "quality" and "quantity"...
    About catalogers, I think Music Collector has far more users than OrangeCD and Catraxx, but I still don't consider it as a better alternative...

Had a few Beers(Brother had a kid today) so can just ignore me if you want.

>>> Why ? No problem, drink a few beers for me too

Have fun. Will Sea