Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sorting

Default Sorting

Hello Andrei,

I enjoy using your program.

I have a couple of questions. First, is there a way to list the entire collection by artist "sort name"? I know how to use the "sort name" to list in the "content tree" by artist. For example, Bob Dylan listed under "D" (Dylan, Bob) instead of "B" (Bob Dylan). However, when the entire collection is listed it doesn't sort it like that. Is there a way to list the entire collection by artist sort name?

Also, about a year ago you told me in an e-mail that a future version of Orange CD may have the capability to obtain track names for vinyl albums. I have almost 2400 CDs and probably twice that many vinyl records. I would really like to enter those into the OCD program and have been waiting to hear that it's now possible. What is the staus on that? Should I use a different program to catalog my vinyl albums? I would rather prefer to use one program for my music collection. To catalog my vinyl albums would be a major task and I have, thus far, put it off.

Thanks for the great program you've developed.

Default Re: Sorting

Quote Originally Posted by Tony
    I have a couple of questions. First, is there a way to list the entire collection by artist "sort name"? I know how to use the "sort name" to list in the "content tree" by artist. For example, Bob Dylan listed under "D" (Dylan, Bob) instead of "B" (Bob Dylan). However, when the entire collection is listed it doesn't sort it like that. Is there a way to list the entire collection by artist sort name?
    Yes, there is a way. Click menu Navigate > Entire Collection. This will display a full list of your albums. Now right-click the list and select "Columns". Put a check next to "Artist Sort" and remove a check from "Artist". Press OK button.

After that, drag-and-drop "Artist Sort" column header to the front and click on it to sort the list.

Also, about a year ago you told me in an e-mail that a future version of Orange CD may have the capability to obtain track names for vinyl albums. I have almost 2400 CDs and probably twice that many vinyl records. I would really like to enter those into the OCD program and have been waiting to hear that it's now possible. What is the staus on that? Should I use a different program to catalog my vinyl albums? I would rather prefer to use one program for my music collection. To catalog my vinyl albums would be a major task and I have, thus far, put it off.
    I can suggest using FreeDB to extract track information for vinyl albums. (Click menu Album > Add from FreeDB). This will retrieve information about the CDs only, but since most vinyl recordings has been reissued, this can work pretty well. You need to search for the artist, then double-click the album in the list, and make sure the tracks are the same as on LP by switching to Tracks page of album properties.
    If needed, there are edit buttons on top of the track list, that you can use to add/delete/rearrange tracks to get full match with LP. You will not need to type track names unless it is a really rare LP.

Andrei

Andrei:

Thank you for the prompt response to my query. I followed your instructions and got The "entire collection" to sort by "Artist Sort". You omitted a step or two and I fumbled through and somehow got it to work (I'm not too technical-minded nor computer-swift).

I also tried your suggestion and used the FreeDB on a couple of "non-CD" albums. I tried a search for just a small sample of various formats that I don't already have on CD. It found 1 (out of 1) vinyl album, 1 (out of 2) 8-track album, and 1 (out of 3) cassette tape album. On each, OCD placed the same "format symbol" (a little black disc that resembles a vinyl record). Is there a way to change this icon (so that there is a different symbol for each)?

Also, this leads me to another question. I have numerous albums that are replicated on different formats (The same title on vinyl and CD and/or cassete, 8-track, etc.). Rather than duplicate these entries, I would like to just add a format symbol to show me that I have this particular album on another format. Is there a way to show multiple formats for an album? If there isn't, I hope you would consider adding a feature like this to a future version. What I'd find very useful, would be a color-coded outline for each thumbnail in "entire collection" display or a color-coded bar or dot, etc. That way, by looking at the thumbnail photo, a user like me can tell whether the album is on CD, vinyl, or any format or combination of formats.

I hope I'm not "off the wall" with this. I realize the program is called "Orange CD" not "Orange Music Organizer". Again, your program is great for organizing my CD collection, I would just like to organize my entire music collection in the same fashion.

In my last post I failed to ask another question I had. Why doesn't OCD use "artist sort" throughout the program? In the content tree, under "entire collection" and "format", ablums are still listed by artist's first name instead of last name. Can I change this too?

Thank you for the prompt response to my query. I followed your instructions and got The "entire collection" to sort by "Artist Sort". You omitted a step or two and I fumbled through and somehow got it to work.
    I am sorry if I caused confusion. I could just forget something because I didn't look at the software at that time.

I also tried your suggestion and used the FreeDB on a couple of "non-CD" albums. I tried a search for just a small sample of various formats that I don't already have on CD. It found 1 (out of 1) vinyl album, 1 (out of 2) 8-track album, and 1 (out of 3) cassette tape album. On each, OCD placed the same "format symbol" (a little black disc that resembles a vinyl record). Is there a way to change this icon (so that there is a different symbol for each)?
    Yes. Open album's properties (right-click - Properties) and switch to the Custom/Misc tab. There is a button next to the icon that allows changing the image.

Also, this leads me to another question. I have numerous albums that are replicated on different formats (The same title on vinyl and CD and/or cassete, 8-track, etc.). Rather than duplicate these entries, I would like to just add a format symbol to show me that I have this particular album on another format. Is there a way to show multiple formats for an album? If there isn't, I hope you would consider adding a feature like this to a future version. What I'd find very useful, would be a color-coded outline for each thumbnail in "entire collection" display or a color-coded bar or dot, etc. That way, by looking at the thumbnail photo, a user like me can tell whether the album is on CD, vinyl, or any format or combination of formats.
    Duplicating entries is the only way. Thanks for suggestion though, and I really like the color coding idea.

Andrei

In my last post I failed to ask another question I had. Why doesn't OCD use "artist sort" throughout the program? In the content tree, under "entire collection" and "format", ablums are still listed by artist's first name instead of last name. Can I change this too?
    No, you can't change this in current version, although I think this will be added soon.

Andrei

[quote author=Firetongue link=board=orangecd_general;num=1078290361;start=0 #4 date=03/07/04 at 23:46:21]
    Yes. Open album's properties (right-click - Properties) and switch to the Custom/Misc tab. There is a button next to the icon that allows changing the image.

I guess I didn't ask the question clearly. I know how to do this. What I wanted to know was, are there any other symbols besides those icons that can be used? There is no icon for cassette or 8-track tape (or anything else for that matter) other than basically CD, DVD, or vinyl. What is the lightning bolt?

Also, can I display all albums by the icon? I would like to display everything on CD, for example, regardless whether it is 1CD, 2CD, 3CD, Box Set CD, etc.

I guess I didn't ask the question clearly. I know how to do this. What I wanted to know was, are there any other symbols besides those icons that can be used? There is no icon for cassette or 8-track tape (or anything else for that matter) other than basically CD, DVD, or vinyl. What is the lightning bolt?
    No, custom icons are not allowed. Lightning bolt is an WinAmp-like icon, used for MP3 files.

Is it possible that you could add a few more icons for use with cassettes and 8-tracks and other formats? Perhaps you could put some generic icons that a user could personalize.

You didn't answer my other question. Can all CDs be displayed from a "parent" folder with sub folders for 2CD, 3CD, Box Sets, etc.? Likewise for LPs (all vinyl displayed together, regardless of whether it is LP, 2LP, 12" vinyl, etc.)

I began entering some vinyl albums. I haven't even scratched the surface of this project. This would easily take me months. One minor problem I've encountered in editing tracks is the time of the track length. If I add one or more tracks to the existing list, it puts a 0:00 for time. Even if I add only one track it makes the entire album 0:00 in time.

I vaguely remember accidentally stumbling onto a way of changing the track time awhile back, but I don't recall how I did. As I said, it's somewhat minor, but it does mess up the thing that averages track and album length for the CD collection too. How can I add or alter the track time?

I'm curious as to how many Orange CD users employ the program for non-CD albums. Do you get any questions concerning this? I hope there are some people that see this and can tell me how they use it or if they have some useful tips or possible "work-arounds".

Andrei:

I managed to find the place to change the track time on my own. It's under "track properties", then "more" and "track properties" again.