Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Import from CD Store

Default Import from CD Store

Hi all...

I've been searching for a long time for the "perfect" music database program. One that handles CDs, cassettes, LPs, and other formats easily. I used to use John Lullie's excellent CD Store application, but he eventually stopped developing and supporting it, and I was stuck with over 2000 entries. Since 1999 or so, I've been trying every catalogging software I've found (including OrangeCD) and never quite found one that I liked. But after re-visiting the OrangeCD site today and looking around, I decided to give the program another shot. I've gotta say... after only a few minutes, I love it.

However, here's my problem. I want to bring all of the information from my CD Store database into OrangeCD. Unfortunately, CD Store didn't have an export facility (and even if it did, I've long since lost the registration code and installation program). I do have the data files, though.

CD Store used two dBase-compatible databases, one that stored album info and another that stored the track information.

I would imagine that there is no built-in facility to import these files since CD Store was a relatively obscure little program, but does anyone have any suggestions? I can supply the files to anyone that wants to look at them (they're a few megs).

Default Re: Import from CD Store

Hi laze,

You can send me your files to [email]orangecd@firetongue.com[/email] and I will give it a try... There is a good chance that data can be converted one way or another.

Andrei

Guest Guest

Hi laze
    I've been searching for a long time for the "perfect" music database program. One that handles CDs, cassettes, LPs, and other formats easily.

Imho, currently the best applicatons are Catraxx, OrangeCD and Music Label.
    All of them worth a shot, above all Catraxx v.6 which seems more "complete"...no offence...

IM(H)O, Orange CD is far better than Catraxx!

;D

Catraxx looked to have good features, but I wasn't a fan of the interface. Music Label also looks quite good and the developer there is friendly as well.

Out of curiosity, had anyone else here ever heard of or used CD Store?

Catraxx does have more Features.But it is not as easy to use and Orange has a Explorer type Layout.

;D If Andrei wants me to break down what needs to be added to Orange to get people from Catraxx I will gladly do that. ;D

Just for information's sake, I'd like to see a list of differences between the two since I haven't been to look at them all that in-depth...

Guest Guest

I tried Cd Store98, Video Store98 and BookStore98 in the past and found them interesting.
    But IMHO they are "old" programs with "old" interfaces and functions that need to be strongly improved and updated to seriously attract and satisfy collectors.
    I rate(d) them very good for users running older Windows versions on less powerful computers, but I don't consider them among the best tools currently available indeed because they miss too many features.

I can't say yet if Catraxx is 'better' than OrangeCD or Music Label since I'm still testing all these programs and others to store my music, videos and book collections.
    Anyway, what I have experienced for sure, is that Catraxx is surely the most powerful, rich of features, stable ( v.5 seems being really bug-free and v.6 runs excellent despite it still is at a Rel. Candidate 1 stage..) and that I don't find it difficult to use at all. I think that all functions are very intuitive and, considering how many of them are availble, they are perfectly implemented.
    I deeply tested also WenSoftware's programs ( i.e. Music Library ) and CollecorZ ( i.e. Music Collector ) but I didn't like them much: the former is an interesting tool but also the most bugged / bad supported program I ever used and the latter misses too many important features and seems to be under a neverending Beta developing.
    OrangeCD is a very good program and Andrei's support is prompt and professional.
    Music Label is a very good program and Johan's support is prompt and professional.
    Catraxx is a very good program and Fredrik's support is prompt and professional.

If I had to choose right now I would probably stick with Catraxx, but OrangeCD and Music Label ( and probably other programs, who knows ? ) have place for improvements.

We'll see... : Cheers

Yeah, CDStore/VideoStore etc. definitely had the "old" interface... they wouldn't fly today. But at the time, they were a vast improvement over what most Win 3.1 programs looked like.

:-/ And Andrei and others ask why I push for certain Features to be added.Catraxx and others have things that Orange does not.

Features that need to be added to Orange.....Playlist Manager is just one of a few things it has that People are choosing over Orange.

I stick with Orange because of the way you can Customize the Front Page and other things with just a litle HTML.Its really the best of both Worlds.

Still waiting to hear from Andrei about the Code I gave him to fix Queueing up Songs with more then WinAMP 3.

That is another thing.....Catraxx has a Team of People working for them.With Orange it is one Person that does everything.If Andrei would get a few more People maybe things would go faster.Not just one Person. :-/