Thread: A scanned CD vs CD added directly from freedb

Default A scanned CD vs CD added directly from freedb

This is a minor point or question.
    As you are aware of when a scanned CD is recognized or a"New Artist" is edited and added to the existing database, it is a nice blue/purple looking icon. When added directly from freedb it is black.

My situation is that the disk was not recognized when scanned because it is off a mere 3 seconds. But when I search freedb all the information is there with the only difference being the 3 seconds.

I know I can edit the "New Artist" and have the desired blue/purple, but I want to take advantage of all the info already in freedb. I want it to show that I do actually have that disc in my collection.

So is there an easy way to convert the black icon to the blue/purple icon?

Thanks
    Mark

Default Re: A scanned CD vs CD added directly from freedb

Hi Mark,

The icon is actually editable. You can select from several pre-defined icons on Custom/Misc tab of album properties.

Please note that there is another difference between records added by scanning CD and added from FreeDB. When OrangeCD scans the CD, it looks into its table of contents (TOC) and stores it in the database. This makes possible two additional advantages:

- You can insert a CD and click "Find CD by scanning" menu command to find the corresponding record in the database. With albums added from FreeDB, the command will not work, because OrangeCD did not get a chance to scan disc's TOC at first place.

- You can play a CD using OrangeCD Player and it will display all the tracks and other information while playing. With CDs added from FreeDB, this also will not work for the same reason.

So, if you really want to have these benefits, you may want to combine the information from FreeDB and disc's TOC. Unfortunately, this means extra work. Basically, you need to:

1) scan the CD and enter some temporary information to be able to find it later (artist and title is sufficient).
    2) add the album from FreeDB (this will result in two database entries).
    3) select the entry you added from FreeDB and click "Copy Fields" menu command.
    4) select the entry you scanned and click "Paste Fields" menu command. This will transfer all information that you downloaded from FreeDB to the entry that was added by scanning.
    5) now you can get rid of the FreeDB entry. Select it and hit Del key.

But again, if you don't use OrangeCD Player and don't care about "Find CD by scanning" menu command, just change the icon on the Custom/Misc page and forget it.

Andrei