Thread: "Internet Explorer Script Error"

Default "Internet Explorer Script Error"

I recently did a clean install of Windows XP (w/ service pack 1a) on my computer, upgrading from Windows 98SE. I backed up all my databases onto a CD beforehand and then put them back after the upgrade.

Ever since, every time I open OrangeCD, I get the "Internet Explorer Script Error" window. It says:

"An error has occurred in the script on this page

Line: 1
    Char: 1
    Error: Unspecified error
    Code: 0
    URL: dadb:C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\Admin\My%20Docu ments\My%20CDs\My%20CDs.dab

Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?"

If I choose "no", the window closes, but EVERY time I click ANYTHING, the same window comes up. The only difference is the location in the URL is whatever I happened to click on.

I'm no computer genius by any stretch. I tried checking and unchecking "disable script debugging" in internet options, I upgraded to Version 5.2.0, Build 7523, but neither of these make a difference.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on how to fix this problem. Thank You!

Default Re: "Internet Explorer Script Error"

Have you tried unchecking "Display a notification about every script error"? (Tools | Internet Options | Advanced)

Have you cleaned your machine with SpyBot ([url]http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2471.html[/url]) and/or Ad-Aware ([url]http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/[/url])?

It may be a good idea to disable System restore ([url]http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001111912274039?OpenDocument&src=sec_doc_nam[/url]) before cleaning.

Thanks for the reply Paul.
    "Display a notification about every script error" was not checked.
    I disabled System Restore and scanned with SpyBouncer and AdAware. They came up with a couple tracking cookies, but that was it. Still having the problem.

Hmmm....??

Did you actually make a clean install, in other words wipe the disk and then install Windows XP? Or did you upgrade your existing Windows 98SE to Windows XP?

You could try removing IE (Add/Remove Windows Components) and then reinstalling.

But if you actually upgraded a W98SE installation to WXP, I would personally start from scratch, wipe the disk clean etc..... (and to avoid affecting your data in the future, you might want to try partitioning your disk, placing OS + programs on one separate partition (C:\), and all your data on another partition (D:\)).

I totally reformatted the hard drive and installed XP from scratch.
    I had saved all the programs I didn't have a cd-rom for onto a
    CD beforehand. I then reinstalled OrangeCD from that CD.

I didn't have this problem with Windows 98, it only started with XP.

Sounds like a clean install to me.
    Don't think I have any more suggestions - other than to reinstall OCD.

Are you getting an Active X scripting error?

I receive an Active X script error occaisionally when there is a problem with a Cut and Paste in the Title field. I'm guessing that when I Cut and Paste I sometimes am not as careful as I should be and wind up with extra spaces or something. By erasing the Title and Re-entering manually solves this problem for me. But I never got the message when starting Orange.

Bob

Sorry, I haven't been back to the forum lately to check this thread. I solved the problem by reformatting my hard drive and reinstalling XP from scratch. After the first few posts here, I discovered that it wasn't ONLY in OrangeCD that this was happening. Andrei and I corresponded by e-mail to try to figure it out also. I e-mailed him back to let him know that the problem had been solved, but forgot to post it here.

THANK YOU to everyone who tried to help!! I appreciate it!

Randy