Thread: Issues with Nortons AV

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Issues with Nortons AV

Hi

I have Nortons Antivirus installed on my system. It's great but.... every time OrangeCD accesses the database to add something Nortons then scans it and grinds the system to a halt whilst scanning all 17MB of it.

I relaise it's probably a good thing but it's really getting to me and it's slowing me down considerably when entering new albums.

Any ideas how I can tell Nortons AV to exclude this file?

Default Re: Issues with Nortons AV

Hi Trawlerman

I had some issues also with Norton Security Prof.2004 as a general matter... Had to change it with Zone Alarm...
    But it seems to me that your data base is huge. Try to store your covers on an external file first if you have not done so yet.
    Then try to reinstal Norton. Log in with your administrator rights and under the programm control tab, set OCD for automatic access to the internet.( trusted Zone).
    If that does not work try the Norton web site for FAQ's and /or send an email to their tech support.
    Good Luck

Many thanks for that. I'll try what you have suggested.

BTW, all my images are allready in an external folder. The 17MB database just hold the data on my CDs, all 6300 of them ;D

Right... I sorted my problems out that I was having with OrangeCD and Nortons AV.

I managed to exclude the database.dab file from it's auto protect facility. Basicall waht was happening was that every time Orange CD accessed the database, Nortons then scanned it (it's an 18MB on my system not including images!) causing the program to run very slow.

Here's what I did for future reference. Information from [url]http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/d4578f66d8f00a0188256d4e006aaa94/c829006aa01d540b852565a6007770d8?OpenDocument& prod=Norton%20AntiVirus&ver=2004%20for%20Windo ws%202000/Me/98/XP&src=sg&pcode=nav&svy=&csm=no[/url]

In Norton AntiVirus 2003, 2004 or 2005, you can add exclusions to either Auto-Protect or the manual virus scan.

1. Start Norton AntiVirus. If Norton AntiVirus is installed as part of Norton SystemWorks or Norton Internet Security, then start that program.
    2. Click Options. Click Norton AntiVirus if you see a menu.
    3. On the left screen, click Auto-Protect > Exclusions.
    4. On the right screen, click New.
    5. Type the path to the file, folder, or drive that you want to exclude, or click the browse button and browse to and select the file, folder, or drive.
    6. To exclude a folder, you must type the path and folder name in the Item box.
    7. If you are running Windows 98/Me, then select the type of activity that you want to exclude by checking the appropriate box in the Exclude from section.
    8. If you are running Windows 2000/XP, then you will only be able to exclude the file, folder, or drive from virus detection only.
    9. On the left Options screen, click Manual Scan > Exclusions.
    Repeat steps 4 through 7.
    10. Click OK, and then close the Options for Norton AntiVirus window.

All should then be well. Note that is you do a full system scan then Nortons will still scan it as normal

Thanks for the info Trawlerman!

Bob

Default Norton 360

That's what I had to do - exclude my OrangeCD DB file from my newly upgrade Norton 360's Autoprotect

Default Norton 360 Version 3.0

Thanks for the info. It drove me up the wall the last couple of days with OrangeCD Not Responding to anything I was trying to do. At first I thought it was the firewall trying block access to the internet. I hadnt run OrangeCD for a couple of months, and certainly not since I installed Norton 360. (was in hospital for a while)

Norton 360 albeit a good virus program seems to affect a lot of "off the beaten track" programs (non main stream program products).

GregWoz
    Perth Australia

This is Norton bug. The database freeze is not correlated with database size. Norton freezes even empty database.

I have reported this issue to Norton support but I don't think it will do much good. As Greg pointed out, if it does not hurt their business, they simply don't care.

Since Norton is pre-installed on many new PCs, it is a big problem for OrangeCD public image. It's impossible to tell for the end user what is the real cause of the app freeze, so everybody thinks OrangeCD is to blame.

As of today, the only solution is to exclude OrangeCD database folders from Norton real-time scan. If you care, please post about the problem on Norton forums as some people did already - hopefully Symantec will notice reoccurrence and fix their bug.