Thread: Covers not displaying after transfer.

Default Covers not displaying after transfer.

Can anyone tell me how to transfer a database to another PC and NOT lose the album covers?!!
    I have just upgraded my PC. I re-installed my Orange CDDB, and unzipped my database. I 'pointed' OCDDB to the location, and it opens fine... but without any album covers. They are all there, in a folder called (oddly enough) 'covers'. This is a sub-directory of my Orange CD directory (which houses my database).
    I have Orange CD imaging prefs set to 'store covers in external files if size exceeds 0'
    Come on - who's the resident genius today?!!

Default Re: Covers not displaying after transfer.

What directory is your Database installed in? When I look at how my Db is, I see the Covers directory in the same directory as the Db. Also the Covers folder has the same name as my Db like this:

Db Name: Bob's Boots
    Covers : Bob's Boots_covers

Maybe you just need to move where your Db or the Covers directory is located.

My stab at resident genius status. ;D

Bob

Close... but no cigar! Thanks for trying Bob, but still no joy. I have tried putting my 'covers' directory in several different places. I even tried downloading a cover, then checking to see where it was put. Having identified the directory, I copied a few of the existing covers into that directory to see if they would show up.... they don't!

There must be a line of code that tells OCDDB where to look for them, I suppose, and I bet it is inaccessible to us mere mortals. Surely this is not a new problem! Ah well, I might just have to download them all again.... ??? ???

You're probably right. I would guess that the location of the 'xxxx_covers' folder is hard-coded. The folder loaction is not available among the OCD preferences, and there doesn't seem to be any registry setting for it either.

But what's the name of you database file?

As Bob pointed out, if you have a database file called 'myCDcollection', the external cover files will be stored in a subfolder called 'myCDcollection_covers'. OCD will create an 8 character file name with a jpg extension for each cover, like