Thread: will a CueCat work with OCD??

Guest Guest

Default will a CueCat work with OCD??

hi there.

i emailed the developer about this, but he's busy, so i figured it might be just as useful to ask here on the forum ...

i'm messing around with the trial, and so far this program fits the bill with regard to what it can do for me ...

in addition to cataloging my audio cd's, i'd like to catalog my vinyl records as well. instead of keying them all in by hand, i'd like to be able to scan barcodes from record sleeves.

a CueCat seems to be a very viable and cheap solution for this ... they can be had on eBay for $10 or less, which is more than reasonable.

the CueCats that are available on eBay seem to be modified though (to just output standard barcode stuff and not the extra junk that the cuecat originally output) ...

has anyone used one with OrangeCD and if so, how well did it work? did you use it for the purpose of scanning your vinyl records?

another thing i'm wondering -- will there be support in the future for entering Side A / B data in OCD? i was reading on the forums that there is a template available to do this, but i'm wondering if a 'proper' solution will be in the works for a future version.

any information would most certainly be appreciated.

regards,

--darien!
    collector.

Default Re: will a CueCat work with OCD??

I use a CueCat to enter the barcodes for my cd's. The modified units act as if you had typed on the keyboard. Quite a labor saving device.

I've only had two problems, neither of which is OrangeCD's fault.
    1. On older cd's the cases sometimes get cloudy and it takes a bunch of passes before you get a good scan. (Newer cases rarely a problem)

2. CueCat seems to add an [Enter] after scanning. The result is if i have a Album detail open to the tab with the barcode field, then scan in the barcode, the data will be entered into the barcode field and the [Enter] will click the OK button. Minor annoyance, but now I am used to it.

Those two things aside, I would recommend getting a CueCat. I got mine off eBay as well.

I use a modified usb Cuecat myself as well ... it works fine, only that it's only based on Amazon's catalog recognition...
    For whatever reasons, many of my CD's don't appear to belong to amazon catalog, so I have to put the CD in the driver, that's far longer! But when it works, it really makes you save time!

For $10 to $20, its a no brainer. The CueCat was a huge time saver for me w/OrangeCD.

I recently purchased a modified CueCat barcode scanner from ebay. With shipping from the US (to UK) it came to