Thread: backup numbering? Or Date

Guest Guest

Default backup numbering? Or Date

During the Autobackup is there a way to get the program to apply either a date or sequence number so that there is a "history" of the backups.

If you make a mistake or it becomes corrupt or I would like to revert back to a particular date, under the current backup setup you can only go back to the last backup, which may itself be corrupt.

Does anyone have a clue if this exists in the current build 9508.

Thanks

Default Re: backup numbering? Or Date

OrangeCD provides a date, so I really don't understand your question. Here's a list of some of my backup files:

myCDCollection_Apr_29_2005.bak
    myCDCollection_Apr_19_2005.bak
    myCDCollection_Apr_9_2005.bak
    myCDCollection_Apr_3_2005.bak
    myCDCollection_Apr_2_2005.bak

Isn't this what you're looking for? Or have I misunderstood your question completely?

Yes it is, however the date is never inserted automatically, and I never get an extension of .bak It used to work on the original build but when I updated it to the more recent daily build it hasnt worked since. All I now get is the collection name with an extension obk. I assumed something had been changed in the program. Is there someother preference or setting that needs to be changed?

Greg

I'm sorry - the example was from version 5.2.0 build 7523. However, backup seems to work the same way in the latest pre-beta version 5.9.9 build 9508.

Try going to View | Preferences, and then select the Backup tab. Let me guess that you have filled in a default backup file name. In that case you don't get the date extension.

If you leave the 'Default backup file name' field blank, then OCD seems to create a file name using the following syntax:

<database name>_<month>_<day>_<year>.obk

So if your database file is named 'myCDCollection.dab' and you create a backup today, the backup file will be named

myCDCollection_Dec_14_2005.obk.

If you select Database &#124; Backup &#124; To file..., you'll see the file name that OCD will use during automatic backup.

Hope this helps.

Yay!!! It works. I dont actually remember ever filling in the back up field in the preferences - however I may have browsed to the file path and hence that caused the problem. It's great not having to fill in the date each time. I think the thing that confused the issue was I was expecting to see a .bak extension as was the case in previous version. Now seeing that the .obk is the default extension (i guess it stands for Orange BacKup) clears it up completely for me.

Many thanks for your help
    Greg -- Perth Australia

P.S. For all those who dont know, I have to say this is the best program of its sort to catalogue CDs ;D