Thread: This one may be serious....

Default This one may be serious....

Hi Andrei,

Got a wee problem.....

I've been running the new Beta.

I've also been inputting a very large "box set" aka the 170 CDs of the Complete Mozart (I'd got up to around 100 so far), typing "nn/170" into the relevant field. So far so good....but I'd noticed that the app would lose the sequencing(I suspect that the 1/2, 2/2 etc. etc. was never intended to support 170 CDs :, so I found that I had to re-sequence manually. I was about to post a question about this, when......

I had logged out and then tried to reload OrangeCD. The app tries to start, but then immediately crashes out to the desktop. I've tried rebooting the PC but the same thing happens. So, my questions

1. have I pushed the envelope too far because OCD was never designed to take a box set of 170 CDs?

2. is the situation recoverable. I have a number of backups taken over the last few days....If I totally de-install OrangeCD shoul I be able to restore from a previous backup?

regards

Chris

Default Re: This one may be serious....

OK, panic over (with over 850 CDs in the DB it would have taken some time to put them back in!!!!!)

what I did, was to delete the folder (i.e. move the complete folder to the recycle bin) then reinstall OCD. The app picked up the registry entries and all is now sweetness & light!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

signed....."A much relieved Mole!"

I suppose the question is am I trying to go further than OCD is capable? I found, as I loaded more and more parts of a box set, that OCD stopped displaying the complete track listing of more than circa 20 discs (when enterered as a box set)

It certainly sounds like you've hit a limit. Whether it's easy to overcome or not, would depend on the database design. And only Andrei knows the answer to that.

However, it really doesn't seem very user friendly to scroll down 160 CDs in order to display the content of the last CD in your Bach box set. It sounds like you could need a tabbed interface or something similar to make each CD in the box set more accessible. Tab 1-10, Tab 11-20 etc, for instance.

Does FreeDB actually recognize the content of these huge box sets - or do you have to type all the data? I'm just curious..... In any case it sounds like one hell of a job. Good luck!

Hi Paul,

Quote Originally Posted by pheisholt
    However, it really doesn't seem very user friendly to scroll down 160 CDs in order to display the content of the last CD in your Bach box set.
    Agreed, the Mozart set (which I've completed) is split into nine "volumes", so that's how i've left it. I've made each volume into a box set.....but even that has bugs, which I'll run through later.

Quote Originally Posted by pheisholt
    Does FreeDB actually recognize the content of these huge box sets
    Surprisingly, it does; of the 170 CDs of Mozart, it recognises all but 2 or 3, including track listings. However what is interesting, is that may of the titles returned by FreedB are not "The Complete Works of W.A.M." but taken from previous releases, which, I assume, have been licensed by Brilliant Classics from the original producers, when BC were putting together this compilation. So styles and languages vary.

But I'm not complaining!

Default Bug? trouble with composers?

Here's the problem. As I've described above I've been putting in Brilliant Classics 170 CD "Complete Works of Mozart". (and yes, my wife and I celebrated the 250th anniversary with a fine bottle, and attempted to inspire two teenage daughters with the great man's music........OK , so you can't win them all!)

As previously described, I've split the set into ten virtual "box sets" of various sizes up to 23 CDs. Each disc has the Composer Field set to "Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart" and the Artist Field set to various artists via the tick box. Each CD in a particular volume has its Title field set to (for example) "Mozart (complete works) Volume 1: Symphonies", and The multi-disc Part Title fields set along the fines "Volume 1(CD5)......".

When I view the list of CDs in the "tree" Content window, Set to view "Entire Collection", all of the virtual box sets show up with their subsidiary CDs in the correct order. Perfect!

If I now change the view to "Composer", not all of the volumes show up under composer "Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart" and in some of the volumes that do, some of their subsidiary CDs are missing, and show up under [none] as single discs (even though the multi-disc "Part #" field set to(for example) "5/11".

So what's going wrong?