Thread: How to keep the HTML listings up-to-date?

Guest Guest

Default How to keep the HTML listings up-to-date?

Im constantly adding albums to my collection and want to know the best way to keep my html catalogue up to date.
    Every time I add a new album to my database I am creating a new export to html list.

Is it neccesary to do this or is there any way for OrangeCD to know what needs updating and what doesnt?

Im assuming the index file would need updating and also any albums that were added.
    What Im getting at is this:
    Do I have to create a brand new HTML export every time I add an album?

I know I was told before that I could set my ftp to only upload new

Default Re: how to update the html listings?

Hi,

The truth is, every time you add new albums, you need to re-run HTML export. There is no other way.

BUT, if you use same template, same output directory, and you do not change any export settings since you made last export, OrangeCD will only update few files. All other files will not be updated because there is no need to update them.

Usually you only need to upload the index file, some of the subindex files (such as category or artist that corresponds to the new album), the new album page and cover image. But again, if you set your FTP client in synchronize mode (most FTP clients can do that), you shouldn't care at all - FTP client will automatically detect which files should be uploaded. A whole process will take few seconds or a minute depending on the speed of your connection.

If you tell me which FTP client you use, I can try to suggest how to configure it for synchronize mode.

Andrei

Guest Guest

Thanks for your response.
    Im using WS FTP Pro.

Im not very familiar with syncro settings so any help would be great.
    thanks

Finally, forums are back online and I can post an answer.

In WS_FTP Pro version 8, you need to use Tools / Synchronize menu command. This will open a separate sync utility. There you just need to select the local folder in the left box, and the corresponding server directory in the right box.

Then just click Execute button and it will do all necessary trasnfers. If you haven't change anything, it will display:

* Synchronization completed - No updates necessary.

Otherwise, it will start transferring new files.

Quote Originally Posted by Firetongue
    Finally, forums are back online and I can post an answer.

In WS_FTP Pro version 8, you need to use Tools / Synchronize menu command. This will open a separate sync utility. There you just need to select the local folder in the left box, and the corresponding server directory in the right box.

Then just click Execute button and it will do all necessary trasnfers. If you haven't change anything, it will display:

* Synchronization completed - No updates necessary.

Otherwise, it will start transferring new files.
    That is not working for me.The Files are not being updated.They are being erased with the newer Files being uploaded.There has to be other settings.

Quote Originally Posted by FuNkY_CaPrIcOrN
    That is not working for me.The Files are not being updated.They are being erased with the newer Files being uploaded.There has to be other settings.
    I think the problem is time zone difference between you and your FTP server. I do not have WS_FTP installed on my computer, but I would search for some settings for time zone adjustment.