PDA

View Full Version : Compilation CD's

Expresbro
11-07-2008, 09:03 PM
Hi,

I'm trialling Orange CD at the moment as I need a simple to use CD Database.

One problem I've found is that a lot of times when a compilation album is downloaded from FreeDB the Track artist and track title are on the one line eg. David Bowie - Space Oddity. When viewed in the catalogue the Artist is shown as Various and the track title is shown as David Bowie - Space Oddity. This is no use obviously from a cataloguing and searching point of view.

I realise this is a problem with the way the original CD info was uploaded to FreeDB , but my question is,

Is there an easier way to rectify this than having to open the properties of each individual track on each CD and manually change the Track Title and Artist details?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Robbie
:-)

BLOWERS
11-08-2008, 06:32 AM
I can see a way to do this more easily, IF you actually have the tracks as media files on your PC. I think what I would do is bulk edit the tags for each album with a decent tag editor (I use MP3tag - a great little freeware app). Then you can get OCD to rescan the album. Without trying a specific case I can't guarantee you'll get what you want, but it SHOULD work.... Hope this helps!

Expresbro
11-08-2008, 01:11 PM
Thanks Malc ..

Unfortunately I don't have the tracks ripped to the Laptop, I've just been inserting the CD's in and downloading the track listings into OCD. When I do a function (strictly part time, mostly friends and family) I use a Double CD player and mixing desk, so I'm not using MP3's at all.

I want to use OCD simply to know exactly what tracks I have available and what disc I can find them on.

So I guess it's just plain old fingerwork then... ;-)

RayH
12-05-2008, 08:16 AM
Hi

Once you have downloaded the details from FreeDB, go to the album properties and choose the Tracks tab. Under the More button in the bottom right, there is an option to "Extract Artists". This will usually separate your data into two fields based on the common delimiter character ("-" in your example). I generally find that OrangeCD does this automatically when it downloads a V/A album, however if the formatting of some of the fields in FreeDB is inconsistent then you will need to do this step manually.

Note that there is a "Swap" option under the More button which you can use if the artist and title end up in the wrong fields after using "Extract Artist". This swaps the contents of the artist and title columns.

Also, in the main contents pane of OrangeCD you can control how artists are displayed for V/A compilations. If you choose to browse by "Artist" OrangeCD will display all albums that the artist appears on including compilations. However if you choose to browse by "Artist(no compilations)" this will only display the compilations under Various Artists. I generally like to browse by Artist so that I can see all tracks I have by the artist no matter which disc they are on, but sometimes the other view is useful as well.

Hope this helps.
Ray