PDA

View Full Version : Split Singles?

krisheding
07-03-2008, 04:01 AM
Here's sort of an odd question, but maybe somebody can help me out.

I have a few CDs and 7" singles where they feature two separate artists (a split single or split EP). I'm not sure how to go about listing these. At the moment, I've listed them under the first artist that appears, and then just made sure each track had the correct artist and song title. The problem is, the release is listed under that artist, and won't come up under the other artist. For example, I have a split 7" single where on one side, there's a song by the band Thursday and on the other side there's a song by the band Thrice. I listed the single under Thursday, and so track one is Thursday's song, and track two is Thrice's song, and I credited each song to the correct artist (sort of like what you'd do for a various artists compilation). So, if I look to see what all I have for Thursday, this single shows up, but if I look to see what all I have for Thrice, it doesn't show up because they weren't listed as the main artist.

The only way I can think of to make sure the single shows up for both bands is by listing the split single as "Various Artists," but I'm hesitant to do that because it's not really a typical "various artists" release. It's just two artists.

I guess I'm just curious to see what other people have done in this same situation.

Kris

davidagbr
07-13-2008, 09:57 AM
Hi Kris,

I have a similar "problem", as a collector of Industrial/Experimental/Noise releases, I a huge pile of splits in all formats.

This has been commented upon before, as I recall Andrei was planning to work on a solution to allow up to three artists per track. So hopefully if that ever came to light, several artists per release may also be feasible! Any news on this Andrei??

In the meantime, I use the "Various Artists" option for my split releases. Although it's far from ideal, I have got used to it, so it now almost makes sense!

A possible improvement would be if Andrei could allow the same name variation to be applied to two (or more artists). For example:

If Artist A / Artist B release a split single. It would be good to have "Artist A / Artist B" as a name variation under BOTH "Artist A" and "Artist B" (at the moment it's only possible to associate the alternate name with one artist). Would this be possible Andrei??

Anyway, that's my twopeneth worth!

Cheers

David

waffles
07-28-2008, 03:14 PM
When I sort the left hand pane by Artist (as opposed to Artist (No compilations)) it shows that album under any artist who has a track on the CD.

For example, The Original Matrix Soundtrack is listed under Rage Against the Machine and every other artist that's on it, as well as it's own listing with Original Soundtrack as the artist.

davidagbr
08-15-2008, 09:47 AM
Sadly that only works if you use artist view (with compilations), which I don't as a rule! However, under simple label view(which is my view of choice) compilations (or splits) won't show up.

David