PDA

View Full Version : Composer vs Artist

Rob
05-10-2008, 12:13 PM
Earlier, MyGenres treated Composers as Artists when searching for albums. Has something changed? I search for say, Mahler, and it appears in the drop down, but it doesn't return anything. It says "There are no complete albums by Mahler, Gustav (1860 - 1911) in this collection." This of course, this isn't the case. ???

gurnemanz
05-11-2008, 09:27 AM
I see what you mean. I cannot understand why composers should appear at all in the drop down list. Bach didn't make that many recordings.

Similarly in OCD I have never understood why composers appear among the artists in the "Manage Artists" option on the Library menu. It would be more useful if those artists you had entered as soloists either on the Credits or Musicians tab did appear as artists on Manage artists.

Rob
05-11-2008, 05:15 PM
No, Bach and Beethoven, didn't make that many recordings, but many conductors and orchestras have made many recordings of Bach and Beethoven's music. With an orchestral piece, I enter the conductor as the Artist and the composer in the composer field. With classical music recordings, we are equally interested in the Artist and the Composer, but I'm more interested in pulling a list of recordings by a particular composer than a list of a particular conductor or orchestra.

That is why Andrei put the Classical View in place.

andrei_c
05-17-2008, 05:33 AM
Earlier, MyGenres treated Composers as Artists when searching for albums. Has something changed? I search for say, Mahler, and it appears in the drop down, but it doesn't return anything. It says "There are no complete albums by Mahler, Gustav (1860 - 1911) in this collection." This of course, this isn't the case. ???
This functionality is currently broken on R&T but it will be fixed promptly. If you're curious, it is a result of performance optimization - old website was pretty slow accessing the list of albums by specific artist. New website is instanteneous.

Andrei

bogumil
11-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Hi,

Are there any plans to make it possible searching by composer? I'm classical music fan and being able to search by composer is absolutely a must for me. Having a list of records without ability to browse by composer is pretty useless for me and for any of my friends who might want to take a look at my collection. How about adding a new page "Composer" that would mimic the functionality of the "Artist" page?

Regards,

Bogumil