PDA

View Full Version : Composition field

DSCH
04-26-2008, 10:57 PM
Since I haven't seen any responses to my question as to which field is most appropriate for the name of a composition, I did some experimenting. (I figured it be better to experiment before I get too much entered.)

In Custom Fields, I created a 'Composition' field under 'Custom Page 1' and checked the 'Per-track setting' checkbox. At first I thought it might be just the answer, but then discovered that in the left panel's Tree View each and every composition, regardless of the composer, was appearing under each and every composer. Not good.

So I tried removing the check for 'Per-track setting'. No difference.

Is there any way to have a custom field that is a child of the 'Composer' field, having a one (Composer) to many (custom field) relationship?

I see from other discussions that this is a common-enough problem for classical music fans. Surely there must be some ideas on the best way to handle this very important need!

DSCH
05-04-2008, 08:23 PM
Any particular reason why Classical Music users of OrangeCD seem so reluctant to share how they handle the need for a field for the title of a multi-movement composition?

Is there /any/ way to create a custom field that is a child of the Composer field?

gurnemanz
05-06-2008, 01:13 PM
To DSCH

There doesn't seem to be any satisfactory way of doing this. When you download the details from freedb the track titles for symphonies, say, turn up in a multiplicity of different formats. Some name the work only for the first movement. Some don't name the work at all and just give you Allegro etc. Some put the work's name before every track title, eg Symphony No 3 - Allegro. Some number each movement, some don't. If they do number the movements, the format varies - sometime you get Roman numerals. So far I have made no attempt to rationalise this dog's breakfast, beyond ensuring that the name of the work at least appears somewhere, so that it can be searched for. Firstly, I don't know the best way to do it. Secondly, it would involve a lot of effort for not a huge gain. Here, for instance, is the highly individual track title format someone (German) used for all 33Ds of the Haydn complete symphonies on Brilliant Classics:

Haydn, FJ ~ Sinfonie Nr 073 D-Dur (La Chasse) [1] Adagio-Allegro

I can't face trying to sort that lot out and have just left it as it is

I have only one idea: As far as I can work out, the only fields that allow data to refer to selected tracks are "Credits" and "Musicians". By this method I presume it would theoretically be possible to call, say, Tracks 1-4 Symphony No 5 and Tracks 5-8 Symphony No 6.