PDA

View Full Version : Slowness Fixed [now REALLY fixed]

NativeRadio
02-04-2008, 01:57 PM
Hello Everyone:

I think I finally fixed the slowness problem. I just installed the newest build an thought it might fix the "database crawl".

My 1500 album database was so slow I seriously thought I would drop OrangeCD as it was taking 30-120 seconds to refresh after I clicked or right-clicked anything.

All my images are "stored externally if over 0KB". Nothing I tried worked to improve the speed and response, except one little gem.

People turn off the "store thumbnail" setting. Bingo...now it's fast..very fast.

Go to:
1. View then Preferences
2. Click Imaging
3. De-select (no check) next to "Store Thumbnails in the Database.

Patrick

kalowski
03-21-2008, 02:59 PM
Doesn't work for me. I'd already done that - OCD is the slowest program in the world

kalowski
03-21-2008, 03:04 PM
Just timed it:
1 min 14 seconds for right click menu to appear.
Latest Build
Vista
Fast computer
3500 albums

andrei_c
03-22-2008, 07:19 PM
This is ugly.

What is the state of "Store thumbnails in the database" checkbox? Try to turn it off and compact database.

Do you hear hard drive "churning" when this happens? Do you have enough free space on the drive? Windows tend to fragment files wildly when there is not enough space - and that can make OrangeCD slow.

Andrei

kalowski
03-23-2008, 08:16 AM
This is ugly.

What is the state of "Store thumbnails in the database" checkbox? Try to turn it off and compact database.

Do you hear hard drive "churning" when this happens? Do you have enough free space on the drive? Windows tend to fragment files wildly when there is not enough space - and that can make OrangeCD slow.

Andrei

Yes it is unchecked. And I've compacted.
129GB of free space on my hard drive..
..ah, but only 4.8GB of 232GB on the external drive thst holds most of the mp3s in my database. But no churning & media monkey works fine when playing them.

andrei_c
03-23-2008, 06:36 PM
Last thing - which build is this? There was serious performance problem in one of recent builds, but it was fixed.

Andrei

Joebugs
03-24-2008, 10:22 AM
Andrei,

I think that this is a problem with Vista. I too encounter slowness problems. I have a Dell Pentium D 3.2 Ghz; two 250Gb hardrives with about 180 Gb free on each disk; 2 Mb ram. The "Store thumbnails in the database" is unchecked and I have to compact database regularly to maintain reasonable performance. I am using 6.22 and have Vista SP1 installed.

Another possible Vista problem related to OrangeCD is that the CD is not ejected automatically when the CD ends playing. It has to be ejected manually.

Regards

Joe

kalowski
03-24-2008, 02:24 PM
Last thing - which build is this? There was serious performance problem in one of recent builds, but it was fixed.

Andrei
6.2.2 build 12315

johnlennon2
03-26-2008, 02:31 PM
I too am having this problem. I'm using XP and the build is 12315. It takes forever for the drop down box to do anything. I thought I fixed it when I upgraded to this build, because it came out of the box not problem at all. But today I got on and bam!! Why?

johnlennon2
03-27-2008, 02:31 PM
Andrei, you've got to help. I love this program and would probably lose control of my collection without it (i've got over 2500 cds), but I just can't believe how slow the program is running. I'm currently viewing my Beatles cds in thumbnail mode. I have 706 cds of the Beatles and it took over 12 minutes to load all the thumbnails. When I upgraded to the current build, immediately after doing so, the program worked like new. Now... like I said, I love this program but this is insane. I've done all the fixes that were recommended in preferences but still it's slow. I know I'm not the only one with this problem, but you have to fix this. Please.

andrei_c
03-28-2008, 04:39 AM
I am looking into this. Thanks for your patience.

johnlennon2
03-28-2008, 10:29 AM
:) Kudos Andrei. You gotta love that you can get feedback from the head guy. Where else can you get that kind of service? Not with Dell or Symantec or my cable company or my cellular company or any one of the three major credit reporting bureaus or the secretary of state (DMV) or Walmart ... ok, I'm done venting now. ;)

andrei_c
04-04-2008, 04:24 AM
I am having trouble finding what the problem is, so I have to ask for more info.

Could you please copy-paste the info in the "Database Stats" section of your database's home page?

For example:

Database stats
-----------------
Size: 3.90 megabytes
Total records: 2052

andrei_c
04-04-2008, 04:26 AM
Just timed it:
1 min 14 seconds for right click menu to appear.
Where exactly did you right-click? Left pane or right pane? On folder or on album icon?

andrei_c
04-04-2008, 04:28 AM
Yes it is unchecked. And I've compacted.
129GB of free space on my hard drive..
..ah, but only 4.8GB of 232GB on the external drive thst holds most of the mp3s in my database. But no churning & media monkey works fine when playing them.
Where is your actual database file located - external or internal drive? I am concerned about database file location, not mp3 location.

Andrei

andrei_c
04-04-2008, 04:32 AM
I'm currently viewing my Beatles cds in thumbnail mode. I have 706 cds of the Beatles and it took over 12 minutes to load all the thumbnails.
How big are your cover images? (i.e. how did you add them - using Cover Download feature or using other method?)

johnlennon2
04-06-2008, 11:45 AM
How big are your cover images? (i.e. how did you add them - using Cover Download feature or using other method?)

I get my cover art from various sources. A lot I've gotten through the software's download feature, but the only problem is that not all of my CDs are official releases. I have a lot of bootlegs and I get those covers off the net or from scans that I've made. As far as sizes go, it seems that most of the legitimate releases' covers hover around 300x300. When you get into some of the bootleg titles, you may be looking at 340x340. One big exception is in the case of The Beatles box-sets called Artifacts I,II,III. Thses are bootleg sets, so your software will never find artwork. The artwork that I found for this set measures in at 275x544. I want to point out that this is not just a phenomenon that affects just my Beatles discs; I simply used them as an example. It is the case for all cds. I've checked many of the other artists and the legitimate releases all seem to clock in at 300x300 for cover art. I don't know if this helps you to understand my problem. Let me know if I can help you further.
Andy

johnlennon2
04-23-2008, 12:59 PM
Andrei- Are you still attacking this issue? I would like to know that I'm not the only one who still has this problem. I've basically stopped using it because it just takes so long to enter anything into it. I love this program but I want to be able to use it without problems. I appreciate that you are always quick to take care of issues but this one has been hanging there for a while.
Is anyone else still have issues with speed?

VendenBos
04-26-2008, 06:06 PM
I also have the speed issue. It started when I changed my computer. Now I have a faster processor, more memory and Windows Vista, but OrangeCD is slower than it used to be.

I have the latest version, the covers are kept in external files and there are no thumbnails in the database.

Part of the problem may be that I have added a number of boxsets to my collection. Right clicking on a 10 disc boxset in the latest addition view takes 12 seconds to show the context menu, where a single disc album shows the menu in 3 seconds.

I know it is not yet the 74 seconds that kalowski mentioned, but 3 seconds is already a bit too long for my taste. Especially since I did not have this problem on a slower computer. I would really like to see this issue solved.

Andrei, please let me know if you need any more information from me, or if there are some settings or tests I can try.

Eric

andrei_c
04-27-2008, 11:40 PM
I think I'm on to something. Can anyone try to install and use this private build:

http://www.firetongue.com/support/orgcdfull_622a.exe

I believe it should help. Please confirm so I could include the changes in next release!

Andrei

VendenBos
04-28-2008, 02:21 AM
I think I'm on to something. Can anyone try to install and use this private build:

http://www.firetongue.com/support/orgcdfull_622a.exe

:D This build works well for me: right clicking a box set is as fast as right clicking a 1-disc album and in less than a second the context menu appears!

One more thing though: When viewing albums in table view there is a context menu for the column headers with the options Insert > and Columns... The menu itself appears fast, but both the Insert and Columns options take a long time in which I think OrangeCD is building the column list.
Is it possible to fix this slowness also?

Joebugs
04-28-2008, 10:22 AM
Andrei,

I've tried this build and it appears to have solved the slowness; however when I click on the Advanced Search icon it stills takes about 30 seconds for the pop up window to appear.

Can you please take a look at this.

Joe

PS Racks And Tags looks great.

johnlennon2
04-28-2008, 04:47 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bless you Andrei. I've been waiting for this fix for a long time now. It's great to have this wonderful program back. Cheers!

andrei_c
05-03-2008, 08:10 PM
OK, I ran quite an exhaustive test on all features and I hope I fixed all of occurrences for this problem! It was more widespread than I thought and it affected Columns, Custom Sort, right-click column selector, Advanced search and Advanced dialog.

All of these should be fast now. Thanks for the most useful feedback!

Andrei

Joebugs
05-04-2008, 05:30 AM
Thanks for this great fix

VendenBos
05-05-2008, 02:09 AM
Yes, the latest version 6.2.3 fixed all slowness problems.
Thanks Andrei! :)