PDA

View Full Version : Bulk editing, selecting CDs

irene
10-20-2007, 11:00 AM
I saw a tip about bulk editing in the forum, but I can't find it now. It's very inconvenient to look for help in the Forum, I'm sure that Andrei is often asked the same questions, instead of having the answers in the Help file.

I still can't select several CDs with ctrl or shift as is done in Windows (newest OCD update). So the 70 CDs I entered today are waiting.

BLOWERS
10-23-2007, 05:46 AM
Yes you can... as long as you have the albums showing in LIST view (ie right-hand pane)! To do this either view ENTIRE COLLECTION, or go through the tree view and MARK (space bar when album highlighted - will highlight in yellow) those albums you want to bulk edit. Then go to the LIST menu, and VIEW MARKED ITEMS. These will appear in the LIST view pane, ready for selection and bulk editing.

Having no official help might be a bit of a hassle, but we get around it. Did you try searching the forum? It's pretty effective, normally.

irene
10-23-2007, 12:16 PM
Thanks,of course I look at the forum first, and use the
Search if I know what expression to search. When you
write List view, you probably mean Table View, which is
what I can get. I have "Sort by Date" so I have the list
of what I want to edit, but still after viewing the
yellow marked items and selecting properties, I don't
get the Bulk Edit. If I click on the yellow items, I get
a single line to edit. If I click below (I don't have a
completely full screen) I don't get the properties
panel, or anything else.

Looking up in the Forum - I found Preferred Method to
Index CDRs from March 2007, this also didn't work, and
the disk selection didn't work either, maybe because of
upgrades since.

BLOWERS
10-24-2007, 05:05 AM
Maybe I don't understand exactly what you are trying to do. Forgive me for asking, but in the TABLE view (I stand corrected!) are you sure you are looking at albums and not tracks? I use the latest update, and have no problem. Just highlight the albums, right click on one of them, drop down to PROPERTIES in that menu, open the box... and edit. Apologies if this is no help!

irene
10-24-2007, 07:04 AM
Before everything else, it would be nice if when I'm answering, I could see the message to which I'm replying, on the same screen.

I have the Table and not the Tracks displayed. Thats why I asked about Table/List. I want to bulk-edit a heap of CDs I entered a few days ago, at least the location is the same in the whole batch (I have my CDs scattered in five places).

I found this forum post
"re:preferred Methods to index CDRs" on mar.16.2007, started by Ron Thorne, Post by Firetongue.

Quote -
9. When all new albums are selected, right-click the selection and choose Properties. This will display a window similar to album properties, but instead it will display bulk edit in caption. Any changes you do in this window, will be applied to all selected albums at once, so be careful!

The way he tells to mark the CDs doesn't work, your tip does work. I have the latest version since March 20th.

I have no problem editing each entry separately, if neccessary, but that's not my question. I don't get the display of Bulk Edit, no matter where on the screen I click to get the screen with the properties. I get either a single CD or nothing.

BLOWERS
10-24-2007, 06:35 PM
Before everything else, it would be nice if when I'm answering, I could see the message to which I'm replying, on the same screen.

I have the Table and not the Tracks displayed. Thats why I asked about Table/List. I want to bulk-edit a heap of CDs I entered a few days ago, at least the location is the same in the whole batch (I have my CDs scattered in five places).

I found this forum post
"re:preferred Methods to index CDRs" on mar.16.2007, started by Ron Thorne, Post by Firetongue.

Quote -
9. When all new albums are selected, right-click the selection and choose Properties. This will display a window similar to album properties, but instead it will display bulk edit in caption. Any changes you do in this window, will be applied to all selected albums at once, so be careful!

The way he tells to mark the CDs doesn't work, your tip does work. I have the latest version since March 20th.

I have no problem editing each entry separately, if neccessary, but that's not my question. I don't get the display of Bulk Edit, no matter where on the screen I click to get the screen with the properties. I get either a single CD or nothing.

Sorry. Better? Hope you find an answer, because I can't find your problem. It all works as stated for me and many thousands of other users. Good luck!

andrei_c
10-25-2007, 01:30 PM

I posted a few pictures to show the steps needed for bulk-edit. Each picture represents the state of the program after each step below.

Step 1 - select the albums using Ctrl/Shift keys (in some cases you can alse use mouse dragging):
http://www.firetongue.com/how-to/bulk-edit/step1.png

Step 2 - right-click the selection. Popup menu will appear:
http://www.firetongue.com/how-to/bulk-edit/step2.png

Step 3 - select Properties from the popup menu. Bulk edit window will open:
http://www.firetongue.com/how-to/bulk-edit/step3.png

Andrei

irene
10-26-2007, 10:47 AM
Thanks BOWLERS and Andrei, the yellow marking and the ctrl/shift selecting made the difference.

It works !