PDA

View Full Version : Various Artists

JohnsonbI4
09-12-2002, 01:36 AM
Hi Andrey

You've got to do something about various artists folder. The thing is:

1. The weblinks for the Various artists become common for all albums. I dont' think this is right because I've got Notre Dame De Paris opera CD and Punk Revolution, for instance. It's pretty strange to see punk and hardcore weblinks on Notre Dame De Paris page, don't you think?

2. I suppose, there must be subfolders for series of compilations. I mean that I've got four CDs of "Learn Swimming" compilations, and they are just lost in the Various Artists folder, because they are not the only compilation series I have. I'd like to see them as a separate folder. I can't create an artist folder for them, because Learn Swimming is not an artist, it is the name of compilation... Something must be done about it.

Thank you!! :)

09-12-2002, 06:57 AM
Ciao from Italy Andrey.
I don't think you should change the way you are using.
It's the way suggested by CDDB and FreeDB for Downloading and Submitting.
I'm not using Orange CD but I assume you can use a filter on Genres / Sub-Genres so that you don't have punk and operas mixed up and you can list them in a proper way but ALWAYS as Various Artists...

From the Gracenote:5. Submitting edits or new entries to the database...
"Compilations (samplers, soundtracks, etc.). A compilation is an album with tracks by different artists, such as soundtracks or samplers. The Artist Name should almost always be Various Artists. (CDDB2 only): Please turn on the Compilation checkbox to fill in the artist and genre for each track.

Anthologies (greatest hits, etc.). An anthology is an album of tracks all by the same artist, but put together from several other albums or sources. Do not turn on the Compilation checkbox for an anthology

Hope this help & have a nice day.

The Hole Studio - Mario Del Buono

JohnsonbI4
09-16-2002, 06:33 AM
sorry, there are no filters - at least I could find none. :( so the problem remains. if anyone knows how to separate various artists discs into several group - please let me know

andrei_c
09-17-2002, 03:05 AM
Hi JohnsonbI4,

The "quick and dirty" solution is to uncheck "various artists" option and assign bogus artists to different compilations. For example, you can make "Various Artists - Opera" and "Various Artists - Punk" artists to keep compilations in different folders.

Sorry, but the filters are not yet there. They will only be implemented in next release.

If you get an idea how you would like to see it - please share your thoughts. Your input is appreciated.

Andrei

JohnsonbI4
10-14-2002, 05:30 AM
well, it's simple. links added to a various artist album should be of that disc only and not be threated like "artist weblinks" you can see if you right-click on an artist folder in tree view. or - which is even better - an ability to create subfolders for various artists section with general links for SUBFOLDERS only.

and - please consider my earlier suggestion to change "composer" and "lyrics author" to "music by" and "lyrics by" and to add another field "written by" - in case I don't know who exactly wrote lyrics and music - that happens often!

andrei_c
10-21-2002, 01:52 PM
Hi,

Thank you for explanation, I've got the idea. I'll see what I can do to get this into the software. Regards

Andrei