PDA

View Full Version : Lyrics And Covers Automatically Imported.

Doug
06-01-2002, 03:38 PM
I have used another program, that can go out and search for covers ... and I know there was once a lyrics server (lyrics.ch), I am wondering, are there sources out there that contain covers and lyrics, that can be used just like the CDDB? That would be great to be able to import the covers and lyrics :)! Woo, hoo! I do have another program that calls my scanner software, and lets me scan covers right into the program, not sure how theses calls work, but it is a thought for this program :)!

Also, the tips and tricks page mentions something about dragging lyrics from IE .... uhm... ok, what site would contain theses lyrics that we would be able to drag? I guess that tips is just not clear to me :(.

Also, one last note... what is the deal with this BBS software wiping out what you have typed if you choose preview, then back, to edit?! Just make sure you copy your text people, before you hit that preview button :)!

Doug

andrei_c
06-05-2002, 03:32 AM
I agree it would be nice to have OrangeCD downloading lyrics and covers, but unfortunately, there are no reliable sources of this kind of info on the Internet. Lyrics.ch closed down a while ago for copyright reasons, so did other similar web sites. Sigh...

Here is hint how to find lyrics on the Internet quickly. In Google (or in the search engine of your choice), type the following info:

1) name of the song,
2) a short quote from the song, it's easy to choose one while you're listening to it.

All of these should be enclosed in quotes.

For example:
"brain damage" "there's someone in my head"

Check out the results: http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&querytime=cWu7D&q=%22bra in+damage%22+%22there%27s+someone+in+my+head%22

Damn, we should automate this in OrangeCD somehow :)

Regarding the forum software - make sure you don't set the security policy too strict to store temporary cookies on your machine. Anyway, thanks, and I'll take a closer look at the forum code when I get a chance.

Andrei

Doug
06-05-2002, 06:05 PM
Well, heck! It never occured to me to search for a line from the actual song I was looking for lyrics on! D'oh! This works great :)! In fact... here is a tipe for everone: Can not remember enough of a line to find a song, but you at least know most of a line? Or, don't know if that one word was "streaked", or "seemed", or, whatever (google spell checks, by the ways)? Use a wild card, like "*". This is what I did, I had lyrics rolling around in my head (normal thing for me, to have lyrics in my head... heck, whole songs playing ;)!), I typed in what I was thinking "on a desert road that streaked the sky". Well, google spell checked, and corrected me, and I was presented with NOTHING. Hmm... so, thought, what the heck? I do not remember what that one word was... so, I tried this "on a desert road that * the sky". Aha! I found it! It's a WONDERFULL THING, GOOGLE IS! Woo hoo! Thanks for the tip Andrei!

I have an idea now, for the software.... under the lyrics tab, put in an auto google search, capture funtion ... so, say, there would be a blank line, with a search button ... you enter what part of the line you remember (with the suggestion of the * wild card), and it autiomatically does the search on google (with, or without opening IE, giving the user the options, since some people are bound to have the lyrics wrong, and with the web site open, you can search for the correct lyrics, but, then again, if the lyrics are 90% correct, it's not to hard to fix, eh :)?). Then, somehow, the program can capture the lyrics ..... What do you think??

Doug

I agree it would be nice to have OrangeCD downloading lyrics and covers, but unfortunately, there are no reliable sources of this kind of info on the Internet. Lyrics.ch closed down a while ago for copyright reasons, so did other similar web sites. Sigh...

Here is hint how to find lyrics on the Internet quickly. In Google (or in the search engine of your choice), type the following info:

1) name of the song,
2) a short quote from the song, it's easy to choose one while you're listening to it.

All of these should be enclosed in quotes.

For example:
"brain damage" "there's someone in my head"

Check out the results: http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&querytime=cWu7D&q=%22bra in+damage%22+%22there%27s+someone+in+my+head%22

Damn, we should automate this in OrangeCD somehow :)

Regarding the forum software - make sure you don't set the security policy too strict to store temporary cookies on your machine. Anyway, thanks, and I'll take a closer look at the forum code when I get a chance.

Andrei

andrei_c
06-07-2002, 03:52 AM
I have an idea now, for the software.... under the lyrics tab, put in an auto google search, capture funtion ... so, say, there would be a blank line, with a search button ... you enter what part of the line you remember (with the suggestion of the * wild card), and it autiomatically does the search on google (with, or without opening IE, giving the user the options, since some people are bound to have the lyrics wrong, and with the web site open, you can search for the correct lyrics, but, then again, if the lyrics are 90% correct, it's not to hard to fix, eh :)?). Then, somehow, the program can capture the lyrics ..... What do you think??

Well, I promise to think about it :)

Andrei

Doug
06-07-2002, 10:45 AM
Thanks >:>

alex
06-17-2002, 07:19 AM
How about
http://lyrics.lipetsk.ru/

or any other lyric's sitez?

Sealed
08-06-2002, 03:34 PM
Just wanted to give my 2 cents here as well

Unfortunately Lyric sites come and go due to the publishing rights... on some other sites you can send in your self made lyrics (complete with errors an all)

With covers it is much the same, and most of the time you can also get a lot of "custom made"covers instead of the originals, or all of it on one big pile.

This makes implementing things like this more trouble then something else, in a few years you see a searchthingie for something that isn't here anymore. Always tricky...

As an example.. I started using OrangeCD when it still was version 2... unfortunately I could not register then because the displayed website didn't exist anymore... Andrei was moving ahead, but the proggie didn't.. Then, when the newer version came out I found it it had become firetongue.com

Besides... usually the artists website would be a perfect place to start... or the fanpages.. they usualy are much more acurate then the rest.

Well.. my 2 cents became 10 so be thankfull for the free advise (hahahahahaha) ;D

08-16-2002, 07:27 PM
about covers...

have a look at
http://www.cdcovers.cc/it seems good...

take care

Sealed
08-17-2002, 09:51 AM
This is one cool site ;D

but also be aware... there are tons of "customized" and "homemade" covers in it as well :o

at times they have a contest.. the one that uploads the most in a month gets a prize.. ::) needless to say that of popular albums a lot of different covers are available >:(

Still a good one though

alex
08-28-2002, 01:53 AM
I'm usually get covers from allmusic.com.