PDA

View Full Version : Re: What Is Being Worked On For The Future?

Sealed
06-12-2003, 09:31 AM
To ad that description to the program it will need a few more changes though.

First of, there is no ripping functonality, people still need a second program to do just that. Then when I click on 'play song' my external player is started simply because OrangeCD doesn't have a MP3 player.

Then there is a second 'problem' .
Instead of linking the files to the album, a new album is created. Now I have two albums, one is the CD version the other is the MP3 version. Of course you can work around this with sorting on format but also, you need to re-enter all the album info again into the MP3 version.

I have used this program since version 2 back in the late 90's and love it as a catalog, there is no better program for that... however, when it comes to MP3 I use MusicMatch... especially because of their MP3pro format and capability to convert WMA files and not to forget the built in library. It is so much better then Winamp... but also commercial ::)

Adding more functionality to the MP3 part would be very welcome... especially a better integration with the excisting albums would be on my list

Cherio!

kjetil
06-23-2003, 09:05 AM
Hm, Funky...

I know we don't agree on this CD/MP3 business...I like to hold my CD in my hands and look at the entry on the screen...crazy, I know... while you like to rip your CD into your computer and have a little virtual library all for yourself. But that's cool enough!

I feel, however, like this program really was written for ME! Cataloguing CDs! Perfect for collectors. But when it comes to the "Perfect for DJs"-subject, I disagree with you. There are tons of programs doing this way better (although not organizing as good), and adding too much MP3-playing facilities may, IMHO, be a misfortune:

* If the program gets too complicated by letting all shortcuts be assigned to player-functionality, it would be a shame.
* If it gets too computational demanding of the same reason, it's also very bad.
* If development on the MP3-player part lets the cataloguing fall behind, I will be sad and angry( :'( >:()
* Worst thing is that Frauenhofer is getting more and more crazy about licensing their MP3 format AND the algorithms. This can sink many good programs today (including my favorite, dBpowerAmp). I don't want OrangeCD/Catalogue to be dragged down by this, I love it too much! Better then to move to OGG/Vorbis instead...

Sorry for long reply, but I feel this is a very important matter, one Firetongue will (probably) have to deal with: should OrangeCD Suite become another hybrid program or stick to being the best cataloguing software there is?

Best regards to both FC and Firetongue!

-Kjetil

slaKfish
06-30-2003, 06:23 PM
Hello all,
i have the same worries that Kjetil has mentioned. i think of Orange CD as cataloging software and worry that in the future too much attention to MP3 related functions could take away from the cataloguing functions.
i am glad someone else suffers from having to hold their CD's for comfort ;). What is this sickness? i have never had a problem with the old fashion poping the CD in the player routine.

andrei_c
07-03-2003, 04:21 AM
Hi slaKfish,

I understand your concern, please rest assured that OrangeCD will never become MP3-centric software. Cataloging features will always prevail over jukebox features. However, mp3 support will be somewhat extended and improved, as many collectors (including myself) have to deal with mp3s from time to time - whether they want it ot not.

Andrei

granit
07-12-2003, 04:50 PM
Hello Y'all
Slakfish and Kjetil are indeed fingering out an issue of great importance that will impact the future of OCD... And it is not just a matter of MP3 vs CD. As technology progresses, and software functionality improves, I'm certain that in less than a year or two, new media for storing digital audio files will hit the market place. And, as we saw in the SONY vs MATSUSHITA
battle for Video tape dominance, it is well possible that competing media will be proposed by the big electronic Companies :-X. (I've never been against competition, for it ultimately benefit the consumer ;D) Will OCD have to accommodate all these new media to the point of losing its primery and essential function? :'( :'( This is not just a rethorical question, and my hope is that Andrei and his technical directorate will brainstorm on this. They have offered the world THE BEST cataloguing software ever, let's not overload OCD Suite to the point of altering it for good.