PDA

View Full Version : Import features

Madaracs
05-30-2002, 08:10 PM
I am considering purchasing this software and have downloaded the demo. I'm looking for a software package that does everything yours does but I have one little problem. I want it to be able to import a comma delimited file that I exported from a competitor's CD database product.

When looking through the import section I found nothing useful for importing a comma delimited file. Maybe someone out there can help me get it converted to a valid database-- useable with this nifty product?

Doug
06-01-2002, 03:31 PM
Ahh, yes! This I need also! I have over 500 CDs catalogged in Discplay (which the software rights where sold to another company, who never did anything with it!) ... would be nice to just import that! I rather not re-insert all those CDs again! Not to mention, all the other CDs I have that have yet to go in! But, this program is 1 of 2 I am considering ... amazing the VAST difference between some of theses programs... some are such excrement, it's hard to believe! Ahem, at any rate, there is one other program that is about on par with this one, and I need to decide :) .... If I could just import my old DB ... but, alas, I could just say screw it, and do them all... at least this time I see it's a MUCH easier process... in the past you had to enter the year, as well as the gerne (and they have more gernes now! Woo hoo!).

Doug

11-03-2002, 06:16 PM
So here's the question... did anyone ever get an answer to this question? I currently use another software, and really like the HTML output that you can provide, however, I don't want to enter 3000+ cd's into the computer again. If there is a way to import a file with the information, I will buy this software today! That is how much I want the HTML generator. Please let me know ASAP, as that will be the deciding factor as to whether or not I buy this.

andrei_c
11-04-2002, 12:59 AM
Michael:

what software are you currently using? Maybe it is possible to convert your existing data, but I need to know what are the formats available for export in your current software. Please advise.

Thank you,
Andrei

11-05-2002, 06:27 PM
I currently use catraxx (and will continue using it). The data is stored in an .mdb file. I have the availability of exporting it in several different formats, with anything I need to import.

I really want to import my database into your software to utilize the html export feature... I am happy to pay for this feature!

Thanks for getting back so soon... you can email me directly too...

andrei_c
11-07-2002, 03:15 AM
Hi Michael,

Unfortunately, there is no way to import from CATraxx yet. There is some demand for CATraxx import module, but it will probably take a while to implement. Please check back often.

Thank you,
Andrei

11-10-2002, 02:06 AM
but what is the possibility of importing from something like a csv file, or something like that? I have the ability to export to any number of files...

All I need to know is what type of file can I import, and what are the layout specifications for that file type? I'm sure that you can import (because I was able to import the information that was stored in the cdplayer.ini). I'm sure that it can be accomplished fairly easily, I just need the layout info. I understand that I will more than likely need to purchase the software to take advantage of the full functionality, but please let me know if it is possible (as I am basing my decision to purchase this software on this answer alone!).

Thanks for your time!

11-18-2002, 12:00 PM
just a quick one to keep this on the top...

A simple "YES" you can import data from a .csv/.xls/.txt file, or "NO" you can't will suffice. I would really love to use this software, but I am not entering 3000+ cd's into another db.

Please let me know,

Michael

andrei_c
11-18-2002, 02:43 PM
Michael,

no, there is no way to import from csv/xls/regular txt. Thank you,

Andrei

11-24-2002, 10:48 AM
Andrei;

Just in case anyone asks in the future, there is a way to get the info from Catraxx to Orange.

andrei_c
11-26-2002, 02:24 AM
Michael,

Thank you. You are right, I completely forgot about this possibility! Regards,

Andrei

Ernie_Longmire
12-17-2003, 11:29 PM
I'm going to dig this topic back up again -- has a flat file import facility been added to OrangeCD in the year since this thread was last active?

My current dataset is 5000+ rows in an Excel spreadsheet and I want to get as many of the fields I store moved over as possible. Right now this includes artist, xref artist, title, format, country of release, label, catalog number, release date, purchase date, purchase location, and price. OrangeCD is perfect for me because between the native fields and the custom field labels, I should be able to retain everything. I can transform my raw data to whatever format's necessary in order to get it loaded into an OrangeCD database, but freedb and cdplayer.ini are too skimpy to hold all the stuff I'm keeping track of, so they won't work as the interim format.

Any ideas?

andrei_c
12-18-2003, 02:59 AM
[quote=Ernie_Longmire]I'm going to dig this topic back up again -- has a flat file import facility been added to OrangeCD in the year since this thread was last active?
My current dataset is 5000+ rows in an Excel spreadsheet and I want to get as many of the fields I store moved over as possible.